Dove Knits

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Huzzah for organization!

I finally got tired of keeping all my knitting supplies in a plastic pencil box. It's fine for notions, but I also keep all my DPNs in there, all mixed together, and it takes several minutes to find all the needles I need.



So I decided to make my annual sewing project a needle roll. I've seen alot of them on other knitting blogs, and have wanted one for a while. I've seen some tutorials, but didn't really follow any; it really wasn't hard to figure out.



I used some vintage Russian fabric for the outside and some much tamer green cotton for the lining. The vintage fabric is much too bright for anything else, really, but I think it makes a pretty needle roll!



It's very long -- over two feet -- but it fits all my DPNs, alot of my crochet hooks, my stitch holders and cable needles (I haven't used a cable needle in over a year), my gauge/needle size checker, and my tape measurer (which is why it's not round, but squished-looking). Everything tucks in, and the top folds down, and the thing rolls up and ties in a pretty red ribbon -- voila! Organization!

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is lovely! I think the fabric is great. Are you keeping any circulars in it? I use a lot of circulars, and need to find a way to organize them...

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Lovely! I am impressed by your organization! Hate to admit it, but my dpns are currently housed in plastic snack bags. Your case is an inspiration.

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Veronica said...

I really like it - it looks very well thought out, and that bright fabric is so much fun. I have a circular needle case that I sort of shove my dpns in to... maybe I need to try making one of these!

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I made one of these as well - I can't imagine living without one! I like your fabric, very happy!

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

that's really nice!

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Super cool fabric!!

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Philigry said...

this is awesome. i need to make myself one to keep all my needles in place. love the fabrics you picked!

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cute project. Like everyone else, I like the fabric. It's cheerful.

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Mary said...

What a great idea! I have a dpn roll that's doing next to nothing at the moment and has several empty slots. Meanwhile I can never find the knitting notions. Time to get it all together!

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Oh I LOVE the fabric. What a great roll for all the tools and needles! The colors will be easy to spot when you need it. ;-)

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger craftivore said...

Love it, love it, love it.

I have a nice felted needle case that wraps like yours, but I still end up just tossing them into the closet. Check out the way Norah Gaughan organizes her circulors, it's too cool. http://blog.berroco.com/2007/12/06/home-sweet-home/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home