Dove Knits

Monday, January 21, 2008

Extreme(ty) knitting, part 3: the head

I'm not sure whether I should consider the head as an extremity, but, well, it's not the torso, so I'll call it that for our purposes, k?

(Yes, I realize that "extremety" is misspelled. Deal with it.)

After finishing the Hurry Up Spring armwarmers, I still had most of a skein of Kureyon leftover. What better way to use that up than the Fakeisle hat? I just happened to have some black unidentified (but most likely wool) yarn sitting around for the background, too. And colorwork was one of my knitting resolutions for the year.



It came out lovely. Even the inside was pretty tidy (except when I switched to DPNs. I just could not tension correctly between the needles). And for one of my first attempts at colorwork, it was not bad at all. And enjoyable: I really got into the swing of carrying one yarn in each hand and throwing English-style.



But.

You knew, of course, that there would be a but, right?

It was too big. Too long and too wide.

No problem! I just picked up the cast-on edge and knit in a lining. Double-layer hats are warmer anyway. And since I had leftover Kureyon, I wrote a little message on the inside (and no, I'm not telling you what it means):



As you can see, Husband is quite pleased with his rather, erm, rainbowy hat.



On a completely different note, I realize I've been starting all these projects and haven't actually finished any of those UFOs I've been meaning to complete. Seeing this contest was just the kick in the butt I needed. Since I saw this late, I'll have to finish something easy: namely, the circle cardi that I started, oh, two years ago. It only needs one more sleeve and a few more rounds of edging. Stay tuned.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Wow, you don't waste any time with your resolutions, nice job! I can only hope that my attempt goes as well.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Thanks for the "heads up" on the contest. And I love the hat. I bought the yarn to make the Fake Isle Hat, but haven't cast on yet. Must do it soon. Oh no ... I'm in trouble.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home