Dove Knits

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Dear Burridge

I guess it was inevitable. We fell for each other, hard, but what burns hot, burns fast, and so we've burned.

Oh, how I loved your cables. But let's face it: you could be very demanding. You couldn't bear to have my attention divided, could you? No, it all had to be focused on you, you beautiful, greedy thing. And still I knit, and still it wasn't enough. Sixteen pattern repeats, you said, and I knit on, despite aching shoulders and sore fingers. Five repeats. Seven.

And then you stopped being demanding, and became something worse. You became...predictable. I came home every night to the same cables, the same stitches, over and over again. Nine repeats. Ten repeats. Twelve.

And besides boring, you also became unwieldy, and spent most of your time lounging on the couch, hogging the remote control:


(Although, granted, you sure were nice to snuggle under, and warm.)

And by the time the sixteenth repeat was done, I thought it was over between us. I could barely stand to look at you, let alone touch you.

And then you did something unexpected: you gave me another panel. Suddenly, everything was exciting again. A new and less demanding you. Oh, the beauty of that Saxon braid. The nubbiness of trinity stitch (I can't believe I've never tried trinity stitch before!). The reduced number of stitches. The temporary portability. It was falling in love all over again.



I love you, Burridge. Let us never fight again.



(Of course, there are 24 pattern repeats in this panel. And then panel C, which is its mirror image. So I'm not throwing away the number of that couples therapist just yet.)

Labels:

15 Comments:

At 3:36 AM, Blogger Dave said...

LOL! It's going to be gorgeous if the two of you can manage to keep it together.

 
At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*laugh* Oh dear. I hope you two can work through your differences.

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Burridge seems like the ultimate in passive-aggressive but so utterly gorgeous!!

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Cables are nice to look at, but I can't wear them. They make me feel FAT. And now there's something else to worry about ...

 
At 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An epic love affair, with the door left open for the sequel... I'm calling Nicholas Sparks.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Wow, that blanket is gorgeous! I admire your stamina - all of your efforts are definitely worth it! But how to you keep flipping that thing back and forth when you change rows?? You probably are getting muscles!

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Sourire11 said...

Ha!!!

It's such an amazing knit, though!

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Knitcrazy said...

Oh Its Beautiful... Now stop your arguing and get on with it... LOL :)

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

GORGEOUS! I'm thinking about knitting one myself and was wondering if you had made up a chart to follow or if you were just reading through what was provided in MagKnits?

 
At 4:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*LOL* This must have been one of the very best entries I've read lately - thank you for that! As they say, rough starts make for a very deep friendship - hope this is going to be the case with you two too!

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

Gorgeous!! Even though you two are having problems it looks stunning. It looks so good that I started one for one myself.

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger Molly Sabourin said...

Seriously, I am speechless. That something so intricate (and apparently quite fickle)can be produced out of nothing but pure skill and nimble fingers, gives me reason to maintain hope in the creation of art for its own sake. Well done from a (gasp!)non-knitter.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Family W said...

you are just too funny!! I am so inspired by your knitting projects. Where do you get most of your patterns, or do you just come up with them on your own?

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Tusa said...

For better or worse; for richer or poorer. Stick with it and let your love mature. From where I am sitting it looks gorgeous.

 
At 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like R might have to do an intervention there :-p.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home