Dove Knits

Thursday, September 06, 2007

What happens when you're not paying attention

It seems I accidentally started a catfight on Ravelry...

(It starts out civil enough, and ends with people calling people "comment whores," which, obviously, starts a fight. Oops...)

And I didn't notice until today. Shows you how well I pay attention. Actually, I avoid participating in forums for that reason; I forget I said anything and never see the responses.

Did I ever tell y'all about how I single-handedly, and completely innocently, started a post-doc fight my first day of work? My very first day of working in a real, grown-up lab, when I was a fresh-faced lass of 18, I was shadowing a post-doc to help her with her project and, you know, gain work experience. My lab experience, until that point, consisted of two college bio lab classes, and even though I had tried my hand at alot of different techniques, I was't what you'd call experienced. I needed alot of explanations and alot of hand-holding that first day, so I was feeling like I was being a real pain-in-the-neck. Because, well, I WAS, even if I couldn't help it. Thankfully, the post-doc I was working with was extremely kind and patient.

Anyway, that first day, I, my post-doc, another post-doc, and another woman are all going to lunch. The other post-doc asks, "So, what did you learn on your first day?"

Someone else said, "Maybe she's taught her post-doc something!"

Other post-doc: "What could she teach her?"

Dove (who, remember, was feeling like a complete pain): "Patience!"

The other post-doc (the one who wasn't training me) wheels around on my post-doc and the other woman. "PATIENCE? Are you saying I'm not patient? Who is talking behind my back? What did you say to her?"

Etc.

Yeah. Oops. Great way to start off my scientific career, right?

Anyway, I have a knack for accidentally starting fights, it seems.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 4:11 AM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Oh so that was YOU behind that debacle! It was a good question, who knew it was going to go off the rails like that?

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just spent an hour of my life reading the trainwreck. heheheh

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

M-m-m-m, interesting. But your comment about PATIENCE was a positive one ... until the other one thought it was directed at her. Goodness. So now I'm curious ... gotta check out Ravelry's Forum ... which I RARELY do. Until curiosity gets the better of me. tehe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home