Dove Knits

Monday, September 24, 2007

Catty-corner

I decided that my in-laws need an afghan for their living room. They recently remodelled, and don't have one that matches.



It's a very simple, garter-stitch blanket made on the diagonal. It grows deceptively quickly, because you start out so small, which is encouraging. But unlike triangular shawls, which end with their widest repeat, I get to start decreasing it halfway through. So hopefully, that means a quick start and then an encouraging finish as it gets smaller and smaller.

The colors will, I think, match the in-laws living room perfectly. They have sage-green couches and the rest of the thing is done in, basically, autumn colors. Rich red and deep orange. The purple and gray complement the others.

Oh, I found the pattern in All-Time Great Afghans, a book from the early 80s published by McCall's. I got it for free, and most of the patterns there involve Tunisian crochet and embroidery on the finished afghan. Because if I'm gonna spend weeks crocheting an afghan, I then want to spend another month embroidering it. I do not think so. But some of the patterns are quite doable and quite nice.

As usual these days, I'm stash diving. This is Caron Simply Soft, which is coming out quite nice and snug feeling. I'm turning into a yarn snob, but I can still stand this stuff :) I'm loving the texture of garter stitch, too.

There has been more knitting for Twig's not-so-grandchildren, but I'm not posting those until I've sent them.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Blogger RangerSarah said...

Ooh, I like those colors - they are bright and fun but not garish or circusy. Nice job!

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Hey if your in-laws don't like the afghan, you could give it some gay friends as a queer pride blanket! I love it!!

 
At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice colors. That will make even the gloomiest winter days cheerful.

Can't wait to see the baby stuff!

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Glad to see you're back in the saddle. Your in-laws should love the gift!

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Sourire11 said...

I love it!!! Great colors!

Anyways the firestorm you started on Ravelry was a great read... interesting what people look for in blogs....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home