Dove Knits

Friday, August 17, 2007

Call me Ahab

Remember all those projects I was working on? The nativity scene. The Mystery Stole. Mom's jacket.

Yeah. Me neither.

Because, like captain Ahab, I am obsessively in persuit of the Great (off-)White Whale Sweater. And everything else lies forgotten until I finish them danged sleeves.



One sleeve is done. I knit it in the round, and then switched to knitting flat for the raglan shaping. I'm less than thrilled with it. See that "seam" line? It kind of twists itself around the sweater, and it's not really in the middle. I'm afraid it'll show, although, trying the sleeve on, when it's centered on the shoulder, it's mostly under my arm. Depending on how the knitting for the second sleeve goes, I may frog the raglan cap and center it better.

(I'm obviously not a perfectionist. If you want perfect knitting and problem solving and dilligent correcting of mistakes, this is not the place for you :) If, however, you want "creative" and "time-saving" solutions to glaring problem that eventually make for the frustration and time-wasting for the knitter (i.e., me), you've come to the right place.)

Anyway, yes, that is a few inches of the second sleeve that you see! It's been another very busy few weeks, so little knitting has occurred, but it's moving along slowly.

I've also been doing baking. What's with the baking lately? Who the hell decides that the height of summer heat is the time for running her oven? Seriously, Dove. And remember, dearie, this isn't a baking blog.

Oh! But there are so many great patterns out for the fall! I just picked up IK's issue, and love it. I love Eunny Jang's cardigan -- that's a must-make; Hedgerow coat; the Placed Cable Aran; Minimalist cardi; Mirepoix bodice; and am still going back and forth on a few others. I love the Twinkle design, but, let's face it. Very few of us can actually pull off bulky knits.

I love the Vogue Knitting anniversary issue, too! Did you know the website has ten free patterns? And they ain't bad! As always with VK, there are some patterns that just make me boggle as to who the heck would ever wear that, let alone make it, but also patterns that I just gotta knit.

In sad news, Pushkin died. The fish, not the poet, though the poet's not so alive, either.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, Blogger Veronica said...

Don't worry, you'll get it done! And exclusively working on one project seems to make it get finished really fast :) I love the new Interweave and as soon as I saw the Minimalist Cardi I knew I had to make it (so much so that I am ripping out another sweater to get the yarn I want). Vogue just scares the bejeesus out of me lately, although I appreciate the freebies.

I am totally baking all summer. I feel like a horrible person, baking and running the A/C, but I love my cookies and cupcakes and can't bear to give them up.

Sorry to hear about Pushkin. Goldfish are weird. I suggest getting a betta fish.

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Heather said...

So sorry to hear about Pushkin. We also have a new fish in the family - Braden named him Junior. Only Junior turned out not to be a boy. One day we woke up and there were lots of baby fish in the tank. And a couple of days later, there were none. Junior ate all her babies. Very traumatic.

About the knitting:
I've been reading your blog for a while now, and have complete faith in your ability to pull it all off. I almost stopped in at Close Knit in Evanston today after taking Braden to the playground nearby. Now that you mention the new IK, I'm regretting my decision to take him home for a nap!!!

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Sleeves can really take the stuffing out of a knitter...you are doing so well!!

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Sourire11 said...

so sorry to hear about your fish!

And you can totally get those sleeves done! Especially since you're just working on them - I'm always amazed at how much progress I can make if i just focus on one thing.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Linda said...

Poor Pushkin. It sounds as if he had a good life the short time he was with you.
The pattern stitch on the sweater is lovely, but those needles look so tiny that my hands cramp just looking at them.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh poor Pushkin. Should have knit a fish bowl cozy. But it's not your fault ... you only had him, [what?] 2 days.

I have faith that those sleeves may be done by this weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home