Dove Knits

Monday, May 21, 2007

Knitting on the road

No, not the book. The ACTION!

What's the best way to clear off the WIPs on your side bar? Well, lock yourself into a car for 14 hours one weekend with nothing but unfinished knitting projects to work on. Voila! Before long, everything is done!

Like the Plymouth Sockotta socks I started a few months ago. I actually completed an entire sock and the cuff of the second one, but stopped when I came to the heel. See, I have flap-and-gusset heels memorized, but not short-row heels, and the self-striping yarn really looks better with those. So I put the socks down until I could sit down long enough to work the heel from instructions. And, of course, once I lost momentum, it took a while to regain it.

In fact, it took a car drive. In the dark. Yes, I knit these in the dark without looking. I mean, they are just stockinette. Although I goofed and made them longer than the first pair and had to go back and fix it.



I like these. I wore them, but just to bed. I can't say I enjoy the feel of Plymouth Sockotta -- it's too...cottony and rough, and not very elastic. But the socks feel nice on. Plus, I shaped them to fit my calves. They're slouchy at the ankles, but don't let that fool you -- they actually DO stay up.

Also, they are not identical. Obviously, the yarn striped differently, especially since my gauge was quite a bit looser for the second sock than for the first -- don't know why -- but I also did the cuffs differently. I don't know why, but the first sock has 2x2 rib and the second 1x1. I just didn't look closely enough or something.

But, yeah, to sum up: Sockotta yarn, size 1 needles. Basic top-down stockinette sock with short-row heel.

And then there's these socks that I started back in July (!!!):



See? These were finished on the road. And modeled on the road. And I still had 4 hours to go, with no more knitting. I somehow survived.



These socks are in Knitpicks now-defunct Sock Garden in Daffodil, and are wonderfully soft and snug, but I'm sure will wear out quickly when I wear them with boots in the winter. They're knit on size 1 needles, top-down, using the Chevron pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks (where else?).

As with the previous pair, I knit the first sock and half of the second one, to the heel. These have "afterthought" heels, and I worked the first one per Charlene Schurch's instructions -- you cast on separately for the heel as you come to it and basically work it like you're doing a toe decrease, then knit the foot of the sock. Well, of course, since this isn't flap-and-gusset, I didn't know how to do this off the top of my head, and lost momentum. As it was, I ended up working the heel of the second one differently -- rather than working the heel immediately, I knit half the stitches on scrap yarn and then continued knitting the foot of the sock as a tube. Then I undid the scrap yarn stitches and decreased the heel after the rest of the sock was done.

I really prefer "forethought" heels to short-row heels. They LOOK nicer, are easier to do, and don't have those holes. I just can't avoid holes along the sides of short-row heels, no matter how hard I try!

Also, for some reason, the second Daffodil sock took alot less yarn than the first. And I have a decent amount left over of the Sockotta. I'm saving my sock yarn scraps so that I can one day make crazy leftover socks, with different-colored heels and toes and stuff.

Finally, the reason we were on the road:



My little brother-in-law graduated from college this weekend. This was one of his gifts. The pattern -- you guessed it -- is a Jean Greenhowe (from Knitted Animals).

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 9:52 PM, Blogger Liz said...

Your socks turned out fantastic! I love the Chevron socks and the afterthought heels. I've done these once before and loved the technique. Maybe I'll try it again...

 
At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing two pairs of socks!

I have Sockotta that I've never quite made it to in my sock stash.

Love the little owl.

 
At 3:10 AM, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

Wow, your socks came out beautifully! I'm a passenger-knitter too, much to DH's chagrin :)

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Great job! Of course, I especially love the owl. I'm gonna have to start collecting the Jean Greenhowe books! And two pair of socks!!! Well, I've had one pair on the needles for months and haven't even finished the first one! I'm impressed!

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Love the socks, but I'm just crazy about the graduation gift. Love it!

I'm impressed with the amount of knitting in a car. I simply can't knit in the car. Makes my stomach turn if I look down while the DH is doing the driving. It's his sudden moves I guess. And it's very unnerving when I'm knitting, LOL.

 
At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your socks are so absolutely awesome! I really love them - fantastic colorways too, and wow, I'm impressed that you knit part of the one pair up in the dark, that's really cool indeed! I have a road trip coming up too in June and mind you, this will be some great sock knitting time then - it's amazing how quickly time passes then, isn't it?
Love the little owl!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home