Dove Knits

Friday, March 09, 2007

DNA vest update

I'm liking it so far!

Take a look:
It's been a very fast knit, actually. Since this picture was taken, I've gotten quite a bit farther along, but really, it looks the same. Just longer. About 12 inches from the cast-on edge so far.

I haven't been knitting much. First off, Lent started, which meant extra services at church, and therefore less time at home. Secondly, Lent started, which means I'm no longer watching TV, which means I get bored more quickly when knitting. Thirdly, I've been reading more, and while I CAN knit and read at the same time, I can't do cables. Especially complex cables. But still, even though I've been knitting for an our/hour and a half every day, it's going quickly.

The in-the-round construction is great. First off, I don't have to deal with knitting the plain, boring back. I have the cable panel on every single round, which makes it interesting. Secondly, no purling. I like purling, but it is slower. Thirdly, no purling. I like purling, but it makes for messier-looking stockinette for me. Fourthly, there will be no seaming, and since I'm split-splicing the yarn, there will be almost no finishing. Yay!

The goal is to have the body knit by the 13th, do the armholes and neck by the 16th, so that I can have the thing washed, blocked, and packed by the 20th. Dad's birthday is the 25th. I think I can do it.

Also, I bought yarn. I held out until March, as was my original plan. But I thought I'd need more yarn for Dad's vest, so it had to get ordered now. I also got a bunch of Knitpicks colorcards, and some Shine for a sweater I'm designing to submit to Knitty or Magknits. Yes. Fingers crossed.

On a somewhat different note, we went to Atlanta this past weekend to visit my parents and my brother's family. The daisy dresses I made for my nieces were a great success! The parents loved them, and V (the older niece, 18 months) grabbed hers, ran around the house with it, and then started putting it on over her clothes. I'd say she liked it :)

I tried to get a good picture of her wearing it, but this is the best I could do:



Normally, she looks like this:









I didn't get a picture of K's dress, but imagine one just like the blue one, but in green with blue trim. And smaller.

Finally, my husband is so cute with his nieces...



And the nieces are so cute with each other

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you're cute with the nieces.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

What a couple of cuties!

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

How sweet! I love how the DNA vest is coming out - the blue's a gorgeous color. Can't wait to see it take shape!

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I still love that blue dress you made - so cute! The vest looks like its turning out smashingly.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

I have complete faith that you will be ready for yor Dad's birthday! It looks great!

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Melinda said...

That daisy dress is absolutely adorable (especially on a speedy toddler!).

 
At 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your vest is coming along so beautifully! And the pics you've posted are so absolutely cute, your niece looks like such a sweetie in that gorgeous blue dress you've made for her!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home