Dove Knits

Monday, January 22, 2007

No, I'm not dead

I just haven't been knitting that much.

Instead, I have been:

1. Traveling -- after all the Christmas travel, we went to Michigan for a wedding. I got to wear one of the pairs of my new earrings!

2. Reading -- though thus far, it's just Harry Potter.

3. Cleaning -- the apartment is shiny! In fact, it's so shiny I'm showing it off! I also cleaned out my closet and donated 3 big bags of clothes and two boxes of dishes and appliances.

4. Sleeping! I've been getting to bed before midnight and getting (gasp!) at least 7 hours of sleep most nights!

Oh, but don't think that I've abandoned knitting! Not so. It's just that the projects I have are worked in smaller yarn and therefore go slower.

First up, we have very happy socks in Soccota (is that how you spell it?). I love the colorway. It's my train knitting.



Secondly, we have a toddler dress from Adorable Knits for Tots, in Aunt Lydia's Fashion Crochet. Again, since this photo, I've finished the entire back. Even though my gauge was just about on, it's coming out a bit wider. This was not a problem, since I started the smallest size for my younger niece, but once I discovered that it was a wider fabric, I've been following length directions for the 1-2 year size for my older niece. It's so nice to have two girls to knit for :)



This yarn is hard to knit with. It's soft and all, but it's not squishy, so it's hard on my right hand. The smallish size 2 needles are jabby, too.

Finally, a baby jacket for another friend's baby girl, E. E was born just before Christmas, and is the cutest thing ever. Unfortunately, the jacket had the same gauge issue, and since she wouldn't be able to wear the 1-2 year old size for a while, I ripped it out (even though I was halfway up the back) and started over. This is as far as I got with the remake.



Oh, and the pattern is from Garnstudio, and the yarn is the same Aunt Lydia's stuff.

Anyway, I've also not been on the computer as much, so please don't take my lack of comments personally!

Also, I made a few knitting resolutions.

1. Not to knit so much! I know that sounds like something I should be striving away from, but really, it wasn't healthy and it got me burned out. Plus, slowing down allows me to enjoy the process more. It's working already!

2. Not to buy any crafting supplies until March (although this may get extended to April). I have a huge stash, and there's no need to buy more. I've done well so far, only buying a subscription to Vogue Knitting (discounted) and getting A Gathering of Lace as a gift from my wonderful husband.

3. To try new a different yarns. I've been in a Knitpicks rut, but I think if I do well with my yarn diet, I'll feel okay about spending a bit more for my next project!

4. Along with 2 and 3: To do my research and try and use yarns that are as ethically and environmentally friendly as possible! That means knitting out of my stash first, supplementing with locally made handspun, researching companies that are known for environmental and social action, and getting yarn second-hand. All of which are just fine by me. In fact, I'm trying to change to green and ethical things in all aspects of my life. It is HARD. I keep having to remind myself to take small steps, one at a time, because otherwise it gets really overwhelming, really quickly.

Stay tuned to see what, exactly, I have in my stash -- and what I have planned! You'll even get to vote!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the yarn diet ... I need to go on a book diet ... knitting books are taking over my house!

 
At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about too much knitting becoming unhealthy...I took a mini-break and was able to get back to housework and other neglected areas of my life. It also does make you cherish your knitting time all the more...

 
At 1:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you've been busy, busy, busy! I can't believe how absolutely shiny your apartment is - won't you come over and clean mine so thoroughly too? ;)
And yay for your resolutions - I absolutely understand what you mean about knitting becoming unhealthy... I need a break too!

 
At 3:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WoW - you have been busy! Congrats on the shiny apt and new knitting! Good luck on the destashing. This year, I will have one 'big' project & one charity project on the needles only. Having to much to complete is overwhelming ... it is better to enjoy the journey!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home