Dove Knits

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Elephant and Santa

Remember the elphant I started for my friend L's two-year-old? The one that turned out to be monstrously sized and I ran out of stuffing? I finally finished.

So here are the many sides of Elephant:



Turned the other way:



Head on:



Sideways (note the hugeness). He's disproportionately long, but it makes him look curious.



Mooning:



Specs:
Pattern: from Kath Dalmeny's World of Knitted Toys
Yarn: the finest Red Heart acrylic
Needles: size 4, various
Time to complete: about a week and a half of knitting and sewing up. Relatively quick knit for his size.

I'm also toying with the idea of making my mom a set of Christmas tree ornaments like this one:



(From Jean Greenhowe's 28-page Christmas special; also in acrylic, of course; about 3-4 inches tall.)

She generally loves my toys, alot, but I'm not sure she'll like the teeny ones because they're harder to make and are therefore sloppier. Plus, even if she does like them, I'm not sure how she'd feel about a whole set on her tree...

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Blogger Becka said...

I love the ephalent (lol, my family and I have been calling elephants ephalents since one our kids used the name as a young one!) and Santa!
I think the ephalent looks perfect!
Thanks for your kind words about A Touch of Whimsy hat!

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger weaselrina said...

The elephant is gorgeous!! Adorable really!!

I found your site when looking for someone who'd knit the Kimono Styled sweater from knitpicks. Yours is beautiful!. I'm thinking of making it as my first sweater and would love to ask you a question or two about your experience with it.. if you don't mind?

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

You have very lucky recipients for all this great stuff you've been making. I really like this elephant, especially the tusks!

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Sue said...

I love your elephant, his got so much character, and I dont think his too long. He looks great. I love your topsy turvy doll too, she is so cute. Your patience must be great to make such fiddley little toys, I dont think I could do many of them.

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

The elephant looks well proportioned to me. And I love, love, love the santa. Ah, I have a weekness for Santa, LOL! And your knitted Santa is soooo cute.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Kary said...

Oh MY!! I LOVE that elephant ... Santa is adorable too ... but that elephant ... ooooooooooooo! :)

 
At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loving your elephant! He looks adorable and blue like "Little Blue" the elephant that was on that kids cartoon on TV, many years ago.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Becka said...

Hey Again!
Thanks for stopping by my blog! I would be honored if you knit the fingerless mitts!!! How exciting! I would also love it if you joined us in the contest on my blog! I'm announcing the other prize next week! It's going to be fun!!!

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Melinda said...

Very cute! I admired the headless elephant, but of course the head completes the cuteness. And the tusks! Adorable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home