Dove Knits

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Uncharted waters

Last night was my first dyeing adventure! I used leftover Easter egg dye and some old Russian wool I had laying around. I'd previously made a Coronet with one skein of it, and had two-and-some skeins left over.



The right skein is my first attempt. I didn't wet the wool prior to dyeing, so the dye just all seeped down into the bottom of the pan and ran together. Hence the very, erm, indeterminate color, which I kinda like.

The left one was done with fewer colors and larger sections, and I mopped up the dye that seeped through with the yarn before adding a new color, so the colors didn't bleed as much. Also, the green turned out to be a more vibrant dye than the others. I then wrapped it in plastic, so each section saturated in color while it microwaved. This is a larger skein, too, because I wrapped the yarn left over from the Coronet into it.

I'm not sure what I'll do with this. It's too scratchy for hats, scarves, or gloves (the Coronet was awful to wear!), and there's not enough for a sweater, of course. Probably bags? It would felt quite well...And it'll be my first felting adventure! Or maybe afghan squares?

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 5:07 PM, Blogger Veronica said...

Those look great! I'm still trying to figure out a project for mine, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home